POSITIVITY

SAIAN

SKINCARE BLOG

Monday, January 12, 2015

Millet Quinoa With Kale

Winter is in full effect, and some comfort food is just what the Dr. ordered! I love combining grains, beans, and greens for a complete vegan-protein meal that only takes 15 minutes! In this simple recipe, I use millet - one of the most digestible and non-allergenic completely alkalizing grains. If you haven't tried millet, I sincerely hope you give it a shot - not only is millet a prebiotic which feeds the microflora in your inner ecosystem, but it is also full of protein, magnesium, and serotonin - which will boost your mood! One of millet's best advantages is that it has a low Glycemic Index (GI), so the carbs will digest slowly, keeping you full longer!
 
Quinoa is an ingredient I use quite frequently, and I try not to repeat my recipes. As you know, quinoa is full of protein, and comes in 3 different colors - white, red and black. The white quinoa is fastest to cook, black takes about 5-7 minutes longer, and red is somewhat in the middle of the spectrum. I usually bring the pot to a boil, cover with a lid, and keep for 7 minutes. The red quinoa is tougher than white, so you will need to add 5 minutes to your cooking time to make it softer! For this recipe, I am using red quinoa.
INGREDIENTS (I only use organic):
1/2 cup red quinoa
1/2 cup of millet
1 cup of white beans
1 carrot
1 bunch of kale
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tbs coconut oil
1 clove of garlic 
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt to taste
Add 1/2 cup dry quinoa and 1 cup water to the pot and bring to a boil. Let boil for 5 minutes, cover with lid, and keep for about 7 minutes. Do the same for the millet, in a separate pot. I dislike boiling the two grains together, because they have slightly varying cooking times. I want to make sure that both are cooked through, and neither is mushy. When you open the lid, you should see that all water has evaporated. Combine the quinoa and millet in a large ceramic or glass bowl, and start working on your kale. I never use the entire leaf for cooking, because the stem is just too rough, and is hard to chew. I "devain" the leaf by cutting the stems out, and chop up the leaves into 2-inch pieces. Sautee the carrots, garlic, and kale in the coconut oil on low heat until soft. Add the mixture to the bowl, and top with fresh parsley. Take your lemon half, and squeeze the juice on top of the mixture. Give the whole thing a toss, and you are ready to plate! I also like to add some avocado, for a creamy treat - you will love it! Enjoy, and have a powerful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment